Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Rome: Museo di Roma … Palazzo Braschi

    October 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 73 °F

    By the time we left Palazzo Altemps, it was past noon. We wanted to visit one more palazzo/museum before we went in search of lunch.

    Museo di Roma’s Palazzo Braschi, located on the far side of Piazza Navona, seemed like the most convenient choice.

    Palazzo Braschi is considered a fine example of 18th-19th century civil architecture in Rome. It was built for the nephew of Pope Pius VI … Luigi Braschi Onesti. In addition to the frescoes that decorate many of the rooms, the palazzo is known for its excellent acoustics.

    This museum had more paintings and panel-based art on display than sculptures. I have to admit I paid more attention to the frescoed rooms and elaborate ceilings here than I did to the art. Luckily, of the two floors we focused on, the third floor had a small number of exhibits and the rooms were not decorated …otherwise we never would have made it out for lunch.

    One of the highlights of this museum had nothing to do with the art or the palazzo, however. Rather, it was the amazing aerial views of Piazza Navona from the windows on the third floor … picture-postcard perfect.
    Read more