Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Geraldton: HMAS Sydney II Memorial

    January 9 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 77 °F

    From the cathedral, we slogged uphill to visit one of the iconic sites of Geraldton … stopping for a quick few minutes to buy some mangos from a supermarket along the way.

    The keel of HMAS Sydney II was laid in 1933. Its name then was HMS Phaeton … and she was intended for the British Navy. The name was changed when she was purchased by the Commonwealth of Australia. After serving in the European Theater, she returned to Australia, where she continued her escort duties in Western Australia, calling on Geraldton three times during that time.

    On the evening of 19 November 1941, on her way back from the Sundra Straits, she encountered the German Raider, HSK Kormoran. The two ships engaged … resulting in the loss of both. No trace was found of HMAS Sydney and her crew of 645 men following the encounter. In March 2008, the wreck of HMAS Sydney II was found in position 26 14 45 S / 111 12 55 E.

    The memorial, which was dedicated on the 60th anniversary of the sinking, has several symbolic elements — the Wall of Remembrance, etched with the names of the lost and the poignant words … “The Rest is Silence;” the Sanctuary … with its dome made of 645 stainless steel seagulls representing the souls lost when the ship sank; the Podium … at the center of which is a ship’s propeller, which serves as an altar for wreath laying; the Pool of Remembrance, into the floor of which the coordinates of the wreck position are etched; the Stele … shaped like the prow of HMAS Sydney II; and the Waiting Woman Sculpture … representing the women grieving for their men.

    The memorial is exceptionally well done … visiting it is a moving experience, and one not to be missed.
    Read more