Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    CMNP: Devils @ Cradle

    February 3 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    When we signed up for the “Tasmanian Devil Night Feeding” through the lodge, we anticipated just that. The devils would be fed after nightfall.

    Well, that might be the case in the winter time when it gets dark early. They do add an 8:30p feeding in the summer, but — in hindsight — I’m glad we were put in the 5:30p group as this was a better time for photos. As well, we could freely roam the grounds prior to the feeding and check out the various pens to see not just the iconic Tasmanian devils, but also two separate species of quolls — Eastern and spotted-tail — that are part of the species conservation work done by Devils @ Cradle.

    In the footprint for the Unzoo in Port Arthur, I mentioned that a contagious cancer — Devil Facial Tumor Disease — has decimated the wild devil population by some 80% since its appearance in 1996. There is hope for eradicating the tumor … as a result of the vaccine research done for COVID-19. But that is still a work in progress. In the meantime, other solutions have been implemented to protect the now-endangered Tasmanian Devil.

    One such solution is the Insurance Population Breeding Program … of which Devils @ Cradle is a part. The program works to protect species from extinction. Signage explained that “… A meta-population has been established throughout Australia, which strategically combines multiple facilities or sites operating under various management levels. Devils can be moved between these bio-secure sites to maintain the genetic diversity of the population.”

    A similar program applies to the quolls as well. There are only 10,000 or so of them in the wild in Tasmania … and only because there are no foxes here. Individuals from this breeding program have been shipped to the mainland to start repopulating quolls in the wild there.

    The pens here — open air for the devils, which cannot jump out … fenced-in for the quolls, which can easily jump out — are described as free range enclosures. Thus, the animals are considered to be under semi-wild managed conditions. The plan is to release individuals from these protected sanctuaries into off-shore Tasmanian Islands … into wild managed conditions. In fact, 15 devils were released on Maria Island in 2012 and their population is flourishing in that disease-free environment.

    The feeding experience here was different from the one at the Unzoo in that we saw multiple feedings … first the females in one enclosure; and then a “paired couple” in another enclosure. At first, they peacefully shared the wallaby carcass that the keeper staked out for them. Once the meat dwindled down, however, the animals became quite vocal over who would be eating the remaining bits.

    The meat, by the way, is specifically purchased for the critters from a hunter. They are not allowed to use any of the many road kills we’ve seen all over Tasmania.

    The quolls got their treats as well. It was interesting to see these small, carnivorous marsupials go at the meat with such relish.

    The visit to Devils @ Cradle was interesting and informative … I’m glad we went … all the more so because the admission goes towards the care of the animals in the program.
    Read more