Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    OTR: Caravaning … Day 5 👉🏻 Searoad

    February 14 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 66 °F

    Wallaroo (Yorke Peninsula) to Streaky Bay (Eyre Peninsula)
    Distance Traveled: 32 NM (= 37 Miles) + 373 Miles = 410 Miles

    This morning, we took the caravan on a cruise. Or, more accurately, we took a ferry ride.

    There are two ways to get around Spencer Gulf, the body of water that separates the Yorke Peninsula from the Eyre Peninsula. You can continue north from Wallaroo and drive around the top of the gulf, and then across on the Eyre Highway. Or you can cut across on the Spencer Gulf Searoad, a seasonal ferry service.

    We opted for the searoad. Thus saving some 236 miles … which we were told are not all that interesting. Timewise, the sea road saves about 90 minutes, since the crossing takes about 2.5 hours … weather and sea conditions permitting. Both of those savings mean that we can hopefully make good headway to the west coast of the peninsula once we disembark the ferry.

    Can’t say that it’s been a smooth crossing so far. The ferry must not have stabilizers, so the vessel is rockin’ and rollin’ its way across the gulf. The motion of the ocean is something we are used to, so we are taking it in stride.

    There’s a forward-facing open deck and an enclosed passenger deck on this vessel. Too windy to sit up top, so we got ourselves settled at a table near the café. A good time for me to catch up on footprints.

    This ferry ride is a nice break from driving all day. I’m sure Mui would agree with that since he does the driving!
    Read more