Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 66

    OTR: Caravaning … Day 6 👉🏻 Ceduna

    February 15 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 72 °F

    Streaky Bay to Penong via Ceduna
    Distance Traveled: 132 Miles

    Today was planned as a short day of driving since we intended to do some sightseeing as we made our way north from our RVFT site and then turned west onto Eyre Highway … the main thoroughfare crossing all the way west.

    We did some sightseeing, but it didn’t turn out quite as we expected. Our timing was wrong. With the tide out, the beautiful beaches we expected to see weren’t as scenic as we expected them to be. Nonetheless, we stopped and enjoyed stretching our legs a bit.

    When we reached Ceduna, we parked the caravan along the foreshore and then went to find the Visitor Center to gather some information about the road for our Nullarbor adventure. As has been the case in every VC we’ve stopped at, the volunteer was friendly, helpful, and chatty. Actually, that can be said for every Australian we’ve met during this trip. Anyway, we came away with a good map and recommendations for places to stop as we cross the Nullarbor. And we have a list of food items that we cannot take from South Australia into Western Australia. So, all said … mission accomplished.

    One of the highly recommended places to visit in Ceduna is Arts Ceduna, billed as the “premier Aboriginal Arts Centre of the Eyre Peninsula.” Their mission is to support Aboriginal artists with skills development, marketing, and sales of their work. There was indeed some amazing pieces being exhibited and I wish I could share them with you. But photos were not allowed. I did purchase a couple of postcards to scan and share here, but they don’t do justice to what we actually saw.

    On the recommendation of the VC volunteer, on our way out of Ceduna, we stopped at the Oyster Barn for a seafood lunch — Smoky Bay oysters “au naturale” with lemon; gummy shark fish tacos; whiting fish & chips. All yummy, though I have to take Mui’s word for the oysters 😊

    Somewhere along our caravaning trip thus far, we seem to have gained a whole day. Where and how? Doesn’t matter. But we decided this afternoon would be a good time to sit down and re-jigger the days ahead. Hence our short day ending in Penong! We’ll do our sightseeing here tomorrow.
    Read more