Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 65

    RVFT Camping in Streaky Bay

    February 14 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 68 °F

    We were hoping to stay at the Foreshore Tourist Park overlooking the bay tonight, but it was nearing 5:00p by the time we arrived and the office was locked up tight. We’d tried to book online, but that didn’t work because we are over 20 feet long and the instructions said that we had to call the park. Easier said than done. First, we were in a dead zone, so no calling out. And when we did get a signal, we were on hold with no one answering.

    That park being a bust, we went to the Islands Caravan Park … only to be told, quite apologetically, that they were full up. But they had an alternative suggestion. One that was on my radar as a third option.

    Streaky Bay is part of the “RV Friendly” towns network — that’s the RVFT in the title of this footprint. This is an initiative of the Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia. To receive the designation, the town must meet certain guidelines — appropriate parking walking distance to the town center, with easy access to groceries and fresh produce; short-term, low-cost overnight parking (24-to-48 hours) for self contained RVs … as close to the CBD as possible; access to potable water; access to a free dump point.

    We found the area set aside for RVs easily enough … a huge dirt lot just one road up from the foreshore park. There were already a number of caravans and trailers set up for the night. We found a spot next to a couple of trees and settled in for the night.

    Despite what looks like a large group of caravans traveling together — all parked in a semi-circle — it’s been very quiet. And very windy. The wind is actually downright cold, so we’ve buttoned down the hatches, so to speak. Perhaps it’s just as well that neither waterfront campground worked out today!
    Read more