Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Salzberg

    August 2, 2022 in Austria ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    The whistliest of whistle-stop tours, we found ourselves in Salzberg today. Our train was supposed to be 08.55 departing Budapest to 15.55 in Mallnitz in three trains. The train #1 left a little late and we weren't sure we would make the nine-minute changeover at Vienna, but with six minutes on the clock when we pulled in, we sprinted to the next platform and made train #2. This also left a little late but that wasn't so bad as the change at Salzberg was 20 minutes. However, two stations in we stopped for no apparent reason...as we pulled into Salzberg, so our connection pulled out. With the next train not for two hours, we stored our kit and did a high-speed tour of Salzberg.

    It was rather like a Austrian version of Venice. Less waterways, but the historic, winding side streets, beautiful architecture and infuriatingly unmovable tourists. We wandered through the Mirabellgarten and past Mozart's residence from 1773-1787, before crossing the views (with beautiful mountain views). On to the hulking and spartan Dom (cathedral) and up to a view point beneath the Palace and across the city in 33° heat l made for a rather uncomfortable visit! Looping back around, we walked past the house where Mozart was born.

    Back at the station, we grabbed a quick drink and pastry in the first class lounge and picked up train #3 to Mallnitz.

    Beer Index (Salzberg) - N/A
    Read more