Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Nuremberg

    August 5, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Our last night in Mallnitz treated us to a glorious starry sky, before up and away to Nuremberg. The train there was delayed (again) but we found a seat in a cabin that was hotter than a sauna! We sweated through the nearly 4hr journey to Munich, where we changed for a high speed train for an hour.

    All this saw us into Nuremberg in the late afternoon, so we checked in and went in search of food. Nuremberg is well known for its beer and sausages. The 'bratwurst' are similar in size to chipolatas and apparently are patented to only be made in Nuremberg under EU law. There are over 20 breweries but apparently the local speciality is rotbier. So, it would be rude not to try both.

    We ambled through the beautiful city walls and through the cobbled streets lined with half-timbered houses, enjoying the view of the many beautiful churches that the city has. En route towards the Imperial Castle, we grabbed some sausages and beer before wandering the castle gardens. The Schoner Brunnen was a beautiful find too - a 14th century fountain shaped like a spire, that survived WWII encased in concrete. Then we pub-hopped all the way back to our hotel. The beer was *very* nice!

    Beer Index (Nuremberg) - €4.75/0.5l (incl. a flight)
    Read more