Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 36

    Luxembourg

    August 17, 2022 in Luxembourg ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    Bit of a trek to get here this morning, but never been more grateful for having bought a first class ticket. We went back and forth on first- or second-class, and read loads of reviews. Handsdown, for people who are just winging it, I would recommend first class simply because you have a good chance of getting a seat without any reservations.

    Anyway, our train from Dusseldorf was dated and the platform was rammed. We changed at Koblenz but were very delayed (giving us the to actually have a beer in this town this time through!). Again the platform for Luxembourg was rammed. But on both trains, first class was quite quiet. That was helpful as we did a bit of work in advance of results day tomorrow. A nice surprise on checking in...apparently we are now Silver Accor members and so get a free drink!

    We headed into the city and wandered the key sights, taking in the Chamber of Deputies, national memorial, Notre Dame Cathedral and so on. A huge panoramic lift takes you down into the valley surrounding the city and we climbed the stairs back up the otherside to see the old fortifications. Further behind them, through a lovely park, in the EU in Luxembourg, including the European Court of Justice and the Schuman Building which housed the first EU hemicycle. Sadly we couldn't go in but it was cool to see them, and completed our tour of EU locations (the others being Brussels and Strasbourg).

    We trammed back to the main city - all public transport is free in Luxembourg! On the Place d'Armes, we had a fabulous dinner of pizza and beer before retiring to plan tomorrow (which will include a hotel-based morning of remote working).
    Read more