Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Pineapples! Ponta Delgada, Açores

    April 3, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Into port early this morning, we arrived at the Azores. Having toyed with a shore excursion, we decided instead on a bimble around the town, starting with a walk west down the sea front to the fort (now military museum). Ponta Delgada rises up from the harbour, and we walked the cobbled streets up towards the botanical gardens passing a number of sadly but fascinatingly dilapidated houses on the way. The first botanical gardens had a huge bay tree from Australia with roots more like river tributaries than anything else!

    Walking through more mosaic streets, we visited the chapel overlooking the harbour, giving great views down the coast. Further west was the Plantação de Ananas dos Açores, the pineapple plantation! Apparently the only place where they are grown in greenhouses, the pineapples here take 18 months to grow. After we'd looked around, we sampled pineapple jam and liqueur, and stayed for a few very nice pineapple lagers.

    We headed back towards the ship through the main shopping but of town which was well geared up for tourists with tat shops and cheap beer, so we didn't stop!

    The streets and houses throughout the town are pretty, with street art commonplace and a charm to even the run down buildings.
    Read more