Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    First Day at Sea

    April 1, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌬 12 °C

    We sailed out of the channel and across the Bay of Biscay today. Having crossed it a few times on a cruise ship, we've never really encountered the weather for which it is legend. However, the crossing was more choppy than we've had before, with 5 metre swells which meant we could feel it even on a ship this large.

    We went to listen to the guest speaker talk about the James Web telescope. He was okay...not as charismatic or interesting as others we've heard. Not aided by the fact he mentioned no less than seven times that he went to the University of Cambridge, or that he failed to mention that he was a school teacher, instead repeating that he 'runs an observatory' (true...but for Harrow School...).

    A few bookings for this evening - the Olive Grove for dinner and the 710 club for entertainment. The Olive Grove queue was massive but did decrease very quickly for those with bookings, and the food was great. In the 710 Club, a jazz quartet put their spin on a number of songs from the Great American songbook. We even went to the Club House afterwards and watched a comedian and game show. The comedian was quite good, although hampered by a mid-set ship-wide announcement from the Entertainment Manager which cut off his microphone!
    Read more