Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Thunder Bay to Winnipeg

    May 20, 2018 in Canada ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Travelled to Kenora via Hwy 11 and Fort Frances named after Lady Frances Simpson (Canada Vignettes - Lady Frances Simpson - check out this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-Q63BO8Ok ). I thought it would be cool to see a place that a cartoon I remember very well was based on.

    Hwy 11 between Thunder Bay and Fort Francis seemed almost deserted as we saw only a handful of cars travelling it with us. For giggles, we set Kenora as our destination on the GPS but then ignored the GPS lady’s sage advice of travelling Hwy 17. The GPS lady finally gave up trying to make us turn around after about 200 kms :) . GPS is great but nothing beats a good ol' paper map (I tend to check GPS lady's work)

    Took a break at Nestor Falls and discovered Pelicans! !! Had no idea there were pelicans here. Who knew!

    We were going to stop just outside of Kenora but were feeling ok so decided to travel on and camp at Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba. Unfortunately when we got there the site was packed and we thought we could find a site on the other side of the park. And when that didn’t work, we would find something just a little further down the road. And when that didn’t work, maybe closer to Winnipeg. And when that didn’t work, truck stops were looking good. Finally stopped at a Best Western in Headingley because it was late and dark and we were tired.
    Read more