Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    Dempster Part 2

    July 15, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Ted the Truck was repaired and we were back on the road within 24 hours after the breakdown. A big shout out to Mark Heynen at Centennial Motors in Whitehorse for fitting us in, getting the repairs done quickly and double checking the remaining tires to make sure we were safe.

    Then it was back up the highway to pick up the trailer from where it had been left, and onwards to Dawson to order a winter parka and then back down to the beginning of the Dempster Highway. It was interesting to see the difference the month had made to the landscape. It was noticeably greener for a start and less snow!

    As the day wore on we were trying to gauge whether or not we were going to make both ferry crossings (the tourist information we had received indicated that the last ferry crossings were at 12:30 a.m.). That information was wrong. We managed to make the first crossing at Fort McPherson but alas, by arriving at Tsiigehtchic at 11:35 we were 5 minutes late at the second crossing (yes the sign there was correct) and watched the ferry land on the other side of the river. All I will say is that it was interesting watching the sun go behind the hills across the river, skirt along them and then begin to come up again and that the fox family (mom and 4 kits) were awfully cute at 4:00 a.m. By the way, the first crossing is 8:30 a.m.

    We rolled into Inuvik about 2 hours later.
    Read more