Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Israel

    March 27, 2019 in Israel ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    It’s due time, I write about my experience in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Two very different places, but each with its own charm. We arrived in Tel Aviv early Saturday morning. And with early I mean 1am. We were unable to use the public transport to our accommodation in Tel Aviv due to the Jewish rest day, Sabbath. We took a taxi to our accommodation and were surprised by a startling amout of people dressed up in costumes all around the city. Considering that Tel Aviv is a gay friendly city, my conclusion was that they were drag queens. My conclusion proved to be wrong the next day, when were told by one of the locals that it is the Israeli Halloween..

    Our apartment in Tel Aviv can be described as okay. Good location, but barely any hot water...

    We visited the hipster quarter Neve Tzedek and Old Jaffa on our first day. Both of them are a must see. There are plenty of insta worthy but also delicious restaurants in these areas. Old Jaffa with the stone architecture and hidden alleyway is really nice to explore.

    We decided to head to Jerusalem the next day. It is easily accessible by public transport. We headed out at 9.30am in order to be at the Jaffa gate of the old town at 11am. There are free walking tours starting there daily at 11am and 2pm. The tour, which took two hours was good to get an overview of the city. We headed to the Yehuda market after the tour and strolled along the different goods stand. Here they sell everything, from dried fruits to spices.

    After yet another quick bus ride, we headed back to our apartment to get ready for a night out. We went to two bars which were mildly packed. We were told that the nightlife is usually more lively, but the city is tired after partying for three days straight (halloween).

    We spent the next day resting and eating and getting ready for our flight the next day. Our highlight of the day was watching the sunset at the beach. On our last day we had time in the morning to brunch. We left for the early 3.5h prior to departure, which was perfect. The security check at the airport is very strict and it took us around two hours to get through it. We were happy to be sitting in the flight to our next destination after the exhausting morning.

    Must dos:
    Tel Aviv
    * Hipster Street Neve Tzedek
    Restaurants:
    * Cafe Alma (Brunch), Margoza, Puaa, Onza
    Bars:
    * Dizzy, Voodoo

    Jerusalem:
    * Yehuda Market, Old Jaffa
    Restaurants:
    * Hasandak
    Read more