Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Semuc Champey 🇬🇹

    February 22, 2022 in Guatemala ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Hostel- Greengos

    After a bumpy bus journey we arrived in Semuc Champey. The hostel was in the middle of nowhere so they provide all the meals and drinks in their own restaurant/bar so we decided to play beer pong with some new friends we made.

    The next day we decided to do the hike up to the viewpoint of Semuc with the hostels 3 legged dog as our guide. It was a steep climb for someone so hungover but I managed after throwing up in a tree trunk 😂 After that we walked back down and went for a swim in the waterfall. The water was freezing which was needed after the sweaty hike up.
    ‘Tedddd… we have your BAGGGGGG!’

    The next day, Me, Zara, Rob and Ted decided to go to the cave. As we were walking in, a girl walked out crying because she broke her fingers inside… not a good sign. We were given a candle and began walking through the cave. It was pitch black other than our candles and the water was up to our waist. We had to climb up slippery ladders and crawl through small gaps. Next thing we knew they took our candles off us and made up sit on the edge of a ledge then drop into the water below. It was all a very stressful experience but really funny to look back on! After the cave we decided to to tubing down the river to relax. Little did we know we were all about to die. Our guide was about 12 and didn’t tell us we were going to hitting rapids until we were already in the middle of them. I fell straight out of my ring into the rapids and began to drown, losing my sunglasses in the process. I began crashing through the rapids into rocks until they finally came to an end. Zara had managed to grab my ring but before I could get back into it we crashed into rapids number 2. This time Rob and Ted came out their rings and went crashing into rocks. I managed to stay afloat, my legs and body hitting rocks all along until they came to an end. I finally managed to get back into my rubber ring before rapids 3 approached. When they finally ended, battered, bruised and exhausted, we walked back to the hostel and met Betty at the pool to tell her about out near death experience.

    We had a few drinks at the bar and played some games before getting ready for our bus the next day to Antigua.
    Read more