Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 159

    Amazon 🇪🇨

    June 10, 2022 in Ecuador

    Tucan Lodge 😍

    The Amazon Rainforest is probably one of my favourite places in the world.
    We had an interesting start to the trip, being picked up by the night bus at midnight, and having a girl throwing up behind us all night before arriving in the middle of nowhere and bumping back into Zara and Rob who we met in Guatemala!
    Not long after we were picked up by our guide, Ricardo, to start our first official day in the Amazon and took a 3 hour boat ride down the river wildlife spotting until we reached Tucan Lodge. We spent a few hours on the rope swing and swimming in the river and just hanging out at the lodge before they took us back out to the river to hunt for pink dolphins and for a sunset swim. Swimming in the Amazon was incredible but getting back into the boat was a challenge 😂
    On our second day in the Amazon we woke up early to go kayaking. It was raining but we still managed to spot some stinky turkeys, red belly Macaws and many other things before we headed back to the lodge for dinner. After that they took us to the back of the lodge and we made our own chocolate and coffee from peeling and roasting cacao. When we’d finished drinking our own homemade coffee we headed back out on the boat for another sunset swim before heading into the rainforest on foot for a night walk. The sounds were unreal and we saw so many spiders and other creatures! Then we headed back to the lodge for tea where we were given some homemade shots that tasted like poison and ink to tattoo each other.
    Our 3rd day in the Amazon we woke up early and headed straight into the rainforest on foot. We ate ants along the way and hiked to a little village where we made some traditional food and met the shaman who let us try his ‘medicines’. After being beaten with stinging nettles we played a game of football in the rain then got picked back up by Walter in his boat! That evening we went crocodile hunting and on our final night walk in the rainforest.
    Our final morning in the Amazon was an early morning bird watching trip to spot our final lot of wildlife before heading back to the lodge to pack our stuff and getting back on the 3 hour boat back along the river to get the bus back to Quito.
    Read more