Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island And

    August 3, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 25 °C

    Started the day meeting Bob Dardano, a friend from DC. We decided to go to one of the things included in my NYC FlexPass (thanks to friends and family for this retirement gift). We were supposed to go to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island all before lunch. Well, we got there at 10am and returned to Battery Park after 4pm.

    The New York skyline did not disappoint. Lady Liberty stood tall and majestic. I learned quite a bit of history.

    The information about all those immigrants who came to the USA with nothing and how 98% were passed through was a bitter reminder of what the current newcomers to this country are facing.

    We walked from Battery Park along the waterfront up through Chinatown. It is not how I remember it. So much more vibrant now. We bumped into the Titanic Memorial that called the folks who died “heroes”. Seems like a loose interpretation of hero to me...

    We got some outstanding pizza and gelato in Greenwich Village. On the way back to the subway, we passed by the Stonewall Inn where on June 28, 1969 those wonderful drag queens said “no more” and staged days of riots. Pretty inspiring.

    My dogs are tired.

    P.S. thank Bob for some of theses photos.
    Read more