Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Vancouver Island Folk Festival Day 1 & 2

    July 14, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    I had two of the best stage experiences I’ve ever had at this smaller but not small Folk Festival. Three really disparate artists/bands played in the Curling Centre venue (yes, that kooky Olympic sport is all the rage up here) the Hamiltones from North Carolina who are part of the Muscle Shoals legendary music scene, Only A Visitor led by a Chinese Canadian with some quirky stories and rhythms, and finally Treasa Levasseur who is a truly gifted and highly entertaining performer. It was a spectacularly fun hour and a half where they played together, inspired each other, and showed off some of their fine musical talents.

    The second set involved song selections pulled from a hat collected from the assembled 5 artists/bands and the audience. MCed by Treasa Levasseur (I love her), the deal was if the folks on stage didn’t know the song, anyone from the audience could come up and sing it with or without the accompaniment from the stage. A remarkable number of folks got up to sing and well. Even some of the local kids got into the act - one kid sang Spiderman; another played the theme from the Phantom of the Opera on the piano and a third super talented girl belted a rousing tune. The artists on stage had a blast with the random set of songs too.

    What struck me most was the generosity of spirit and openness to participate. Everybody sang along. People clapped and danced at the suggestion of the performers. A genuine warmth.

    It looks to be a mud-fest over the next few days so we changed plans. Instead of camping, we will stay on Quadra Island east of Campbell River - about halfway up Vancouver Island. We’ll explore the town before heading over by ferry to our last minute cabin on a hobby farm. They have a Lop-eared rabbit. Oh boy!
    Read more