Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Cape Breton Camping

    August 7, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We camped for one cramped night in Ingonish after a day of driving/meandering up to Cape Breton. The next three nights we camped further up the island in Dingwall. It was pretty exposed but who can argue with hot showers, a dishwashing station with a real sink, flush private toilets, and delicious snow crab on site? The view was pretty sweet too. We overlooked a cove and out.

    Cape Breton is gorgeous. We hiked up on a cloudy day to an open area that had alpine habitat. Nothing was taller than knee height for most of the hike. The wild flowers all over the area are in their full regalia popping with purples, pinks, yellows, and reds. Given the cold environment and how long winter and wind lash this coast, it is a wonder they survive at all.

    We splurged on a whale watching tour and were not disappointed. A dozen or so pilot whales swam around the boat. With their round faces they are the super cute whale variety. The ship captain took us close to cliffs spying on seals and more gorgeous rock formations.

    We found ourselves back on the water in a canoe - Sheryl’s favorite. We wandered around dipping in an out of grassy lakes spotting a family of kingfishers, cormorants, a great blue heron and more bird life.

    You would think the water was too cold for swimming but it was wonderful! We swam in the Asby River and one other beach on the St Lawrence Bay. I just loved getting in the water. A real treat.

    On our last day in the Cape Breton area we drove around with west side to the more popular area. It was nice but I liked the east side with fewer tourists, fewer shops, and fewer houses abutting natural areas. Still it was none too shabby.

    Tomorrow we take the 8 hour ferry to Newfoundland and drive another 3 hours to Gros Morne Provincial Park.
    Read more