Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Tangier and 100 Islands

    August 3, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We dashed back across Nova Scotia to a tiny town called Tangier. We stayed at a place called Paddlers Retreat. They run kayaking trips all over the area and also up into Newfoundland. We opted to paddle around for the day by ourselves.

    The coastline here is dotted with dozens and dozens of little islands and soft sandy beaches to land. The weather was a little windy but not enough to preclude getting out on our own. Getting in is always tough. We don’t know the equipment and as it was the highest of high season and we were only renting and not taking a tour, we didn’t get the sleekest of their fleet. It was more than serviceable but required some patience with the spray skirts and feathered paddles.

    This was day four of kayaking and our backs and arms were really just fine! I had expected to be sore or at least stiff from the last 3 days on the water. Nope. It was comfortable. We paddled across to several islands with a bunch of inlets and coves to explore. The water is so clean and clear here that we could spy treasures both under and at the water’s edge. We had packed our lunch and pulled in to this decent sized sand beach where we ate and then swam in the cold, but not too cold, water. Again, we were out there pretty much on our own. Very few boaters or kayakers to be seen.

    I remember traveling to Costa Rica 25 years ago and people said that Costa Rica was just so overrun with tourists. This was a little like that. Nova Scotia is supposedly super touristy. I know Sheryl does a great job sussing out places to stay that are wonderful but I just can’t be worried about “overrun” when it means you might see one or two other tourists on the beach or out along a hiking trail.

    Pancakes. I haven’t had pancakes for an age. I had them both mornings at Paddlers Retreat. With honey-sweetened yogurt, strawberries and a splash of maple syrup. A splurge worth it. It left me fortified for the next four days of camping at Cape Breton.
    Read more