Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Casablanca - Day One Morocco

    April 23, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    I’m in Africa! Again. It has been 32 years since I set foot on this continent - a lifetime ago. I met two of my travelling companions, Stacey and Anna-Ruth at the airport. Gail missed her flight from Paris - we hate the Paris airport. Stacey is retired and a seasoned solo traveller. Anna-Ruth and Stacey had this trip planned for 2020, and we all know what happened then.

    Our hotel is quaint. The decorations are very, well, Moroccan. Comfy beds, plenty of space, not enough towels. It is a perfect place to get into the swing of travel here in Morocco.

    We hired a very inadequate driver to take us around for a few hours to see some sights. He dropped us off at four places, and three of them were not where we wanted to go. So back in the van each time to get it right. The markets are mostly closed today because yesterday was Eid. It was Eid in Europe the day before - they follow a different calendar. Seems nonsensical.

    We had lunch at Rick’s Cafe - like as in the movie Casablanca. This food was delicious if a bit spendy. We enjoyed the lavish meal nonetheless. It was nice to get to know a little bit about my new friends. I shared pictures of my garden and talked about Portugal. Stacey is retired and loving it. Anna-Ruth has not quite made the leap but is planning on it. And, of course, Gail retired and then took a job. Not a stellar retirement plan, but I think she is enjoying her job.

    Once we ditched the driver, we took a walking tour that was designed to show off the mix of architecture here is Casablanca. It seems the Portugese controlled this city for a while and then the French. We saw tiles on buildings that were much like the ones we saw in all over Portugal. Old buildings are either knocked over, crumbling, or have been refurbished. These are interspersed with art deco, french and European influences too.

    We happened upon a park teeming with families out enjoying the day after feast day. Lots of music, kids running around, and families strolling along. It was nice to be in a crowded place that was not a tourist place.

    Tonight we meet our tour guide and get oriented. Here we go.
    Read more