Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Ponte de Lima and Guemaras and…

    April 22, 2023 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    Our last two days in Portugal were exploring more of the riverside hike along the Rio Vez. Much of it was beautiful boardwalks. And we walked around the small very old and charming towns all over the area.

    We cracked open the homemade bottles from our host. They were undrinkable. Sadly. We also bought a 2.30 euro bottle from a local shop that we didn’t bother opening. We couldn’t not purchase something from this local sweetheart of a woman.

    I have eaten enough meat on this trip. Fish and meat are in everything and at every meal. Even the beans were cooked in bacon fat. Oy. We ate breakfast at “home” every morning which was lovely.

    We visited a few churches in these old towns. I don’t quite get the total obsession with showing the torture and murder of Christ in nearly every corner of the church. Where are the beautiful stories of the kind and miraculous and merciful deeds he did? Seems like an odd emphasis. But what do I know? I’m Jewish.

    It absolutely poured buckets on our drive back to Lisbon. And we hit rush hour. Long drive but good company. I have been tearing up all morning saying goodbye first to Sheryl and then Kristen and Lennart.

    On to my next adventure! Morocco!
    Read more