Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    Tinghir Take Two - A Happy Birthday

    April 30, 2023 in Morocco ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    After leaving Hamama behind (my camel), we headed to Tinghir. Along the way Mohamed showed us some 8th century irrigation and water systems that bring water to far flung settlements. Some are still operating. The ingenuity is evident and maintenance kept up until recently are a testament to the people here.

    Driving in to Tinghir with its enchanting pink adobe buildings surrounding a lush green valley was restorative. Flash floods keep the homes and buildings always up on the sides of the gardens.

    We settled in to the hotel and then three of us went on a short walk/hike in the garden. Mohamed is a fount of information and a well-developed dad-joke sense of humor. It is a pleasure to get to know him a little bit. He has talked a lot about many cultural practices and family customs. The sexism is baked into the system, and I haven’t used proper pronouns for “my partner”. He may be fine with it, but he might not be.

    Today we hiked up and over the spectacular Todra Gorge. Saw a Blue Rock Thrush at the bottom. Very pretty. At the top we had tea (thyme tea with a little sugar) with the elder of the family in their traditional camp. They live in this high canyon raising goats, sheep and rabbits for food. They are 16 in all. This man doesn’t know how old he is but Mohamed tells us that he has a grandson who is 65. That would make him close to 100 years old. His hands now tremble which reminded me of my dad. It was a lovely and very special visit with this very generous and welcoming family.

    The hike took five long hours (see cranky post) but it was beautiful. At the very end just before we reached the restaurant for lunch, I saw a bird I was so hoping to see, a Hoopoe. I included a photo from the internet just so you know why it was sooooo cool to see it.

    So….. in addition to the hike, today is also special because it is Gail’s birthday! She turned 64 - and has joked about being only one year away from Medicare.

    Stacey arranged with Mohammed to get a birthday cake - chocolate as part of dinner tonight. Gail is so cute but quite oblivious to the plan. She has been thinking she doesn’t want to go with the group to eat and is not sure why Mohamed has told us to meet at 7:30pm for dinner as it isn’t on the trip itinerary. I have suggested we just go to the meeting with the group to get the plan for what will happen tomorrow. Teehee.

    She almost didn’t go to dinner until Stacey gave her the hairy eyeball that she was coming to dinner. Much merriment and singing. And they spelled her name incorrectly - she was absolutely charmed.
    Read more