Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 39

    Barcelona - Day One

    8 Mei 2023, Sepanyol ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Four nights and three full days in Barcelona is not enough time to enjoy this magical city. Everywhere you turn is another architectural wonder.

    Sagrada Familia is still under construction. They expect the tower dedicated to Jesus will be completed in 2026. Maybe. They are shooting for 2036 to complete the whole thing. Fat chance. When completed, it will absorb surrounding blocks displacing renters who have mistakenly expected that it would never happen…

    The cool and warm light and dedication to the earth - plants and animals really spoke to me. The two pillars at the entrance to the Nativity side were placed on the backs of turtles; one land turtle and the other from the sea. I wonder if Gaudi knew of Turtle Island.

    I went up one of the towers. What a view! And you could see how much construction was going on. It is a work in progress.

    Next I visited a medical complex dedicated to the poor. It’s called Recinte Modernista Sant Pau. A dozen magnificently adorned buildings with tiles and art and gardens were designed to provide beauty for patients in their recovery. Visiting rooms in each building were surrounded by glass for natural light and garden views. I sat for a while drinking in the place.

    I made my way back to the hotel to grab Gail for our Gracia neighborhood self-guides walking tour. We mostly followed it but kept getting pleasantly distracted by more street music and art. And gelato.

    Great day.
    Baca lagi