Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    The Queen Day 2 Departing Cape Town

    April 24, 2018 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Our first day on the Queen is in Cape Town port. After a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed, we headed off to breakfast and then off the ship into town. Our objective was to meet people from the Iziko Museum to have a look at some Hamilton Ross items in Bertram House.
    Back to the V&A for some last minute shopping then bus to the cruise terminal, clear immigration and on board and ready to leave. Lifeboat drill at 4:30 then the ship is easing out from the dock. A quick race up stairs to watch Cape Town and the mountains behind slowly leave us behind. A great sight to see!!
    Dinner in the Lido Buffet, a quick quiz game in the English Pup bar then off to sleep.
    Disappointed that the Hamilton Ross paintings have been removed from Bertram House. The lady who showed us around though has given me her contact details and I will be able to get a digital copy once they have been retrieved from archives. I get the feeling historical records are being mismanaged a bit in SA.
    It was wonderful though to leave Cape Town by ship knowing that our Great great grandfather had done the same as crew and Captain of his own vessels. Looking back towards Table Mountain and Signal Hill it is truly a moving and beautiful view. So many sailors must have marvelled at it's uniqueness before heading either east or west into the great oceans. How brave and amazing they were. I of coarse disgraced myself by feeling queasy within a few hours.
    Read more