Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    The Queen Day 14 Madeira

    May 6, 2018 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Woke up this morning to see the lights of outlying islands as we approached Madeira.
    Dolphins escorted us into Funchal Harbour as the sun rose. The island looked great so we soon had brekky and made our way ashore.
    We walked down to the harbour side and bought tickets on the hop on hop off bus. Started with a quick spin around the old town then changed to the bus going out along the coast to Camara de Lobos. This is a little fishing village where Winston Churchill regularly holidayed and painted. The ride out there is through hilly, rugged contryside where the houses are all built on the edge of cliffs and with every bit of land terraced for veges and bananas. De Lobos is a nice little village on an inlet in the rocks, and with traditional fishing boats on the beach.
    Changed buses here to go out to Cabo Girao which is claimed to be the second highest sea cliff in the world. This is quite a site as there is a glass bottom viewing platform overlooking the edge. Views are incredible.
    Bus back to De Lobos and a walk around to look at the town. All very nice.
    Bus back to Funchal. Walked around to a few of the sites then lunch at a nice little cafe. Funchal is a delightfull town with ornamental pebble paving and greenery and flowers everywhere.
    Walked up into the back of the town then back to the boat. Just about the last back on, then sailed off into the sunset. Had a great day out.
    Back on board we went up on deck to watch the departure and Madeira fade into the distance.
    Got a cup of tea in the Lido and joined a man sitting on his own at a table. Got chatting and he turned out to be the new comedy act (Kev Orkian) and had just joined the ship in Madeira. Spent almost an hour hearing his stories of the entertainment industry. He finally went off to get changed for his first show and so did we.
    Went to the show and he was very very funny. Did a piano comedy act and was very good. Had us in stitches.
    Late dinner then bed.
    Read more