Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    Drive to Naves

    May 15, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Leaving Bilbao was nerveracking. When we finally left the perimeters though the scenery was dramatic, green, mountainous and lovely. We decided to head inland and then rejoin the coastal area around Naves. It was an exhausting day but truly the villages, rivers, valleys and snow clad mountains in the distance were really wonderful. Thankfully the country roads as we headed west were excellent too. Interestingly, each province of Spain will only provide info and tourist maps of their respective region. So, in the Basque tourist office they had nothing at all about the adjoining region of Cantabria and similarly for each province as we went along. When we reached Naves at about 6.30pm we were starving but it's a tiny hamlet and the only bar there had no food. We had to hit the road again and eventually paid way too much for some fish soup and fried squid in Llanes; a tourist trap on the coast. To add insult to injury, the drunken Spanairds sitting near us could be heard half way to Madrid. Not happy Jan...
    Only a picture of the car today, because the scenery could not really be captured in a photo, and I was hanging on to the steering wheel too hard on the tight and twisty roads!!
    Read more