Satellite
  • Day 38

    Back to Santillana del Mar

    May 16, 2018 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    After our experience at Naves we decided to look for somewhere we could have a rest and get some decent food. We found a nice hotel in a place called Santillana del Mar which is back towards Santander.
    Taking the route along the coast we spent some time in Ribadasella which is a lovely seaside fishing vilage and holiday resort. Went for a long walk out to the entry to the harbour and up to a little chapel on the headland then walked a different way back into town. Wandered through the town market for a while before continuing on our drive.
    Arrived at our hotel in the mid afternon to find a nice hotel and lovely room.
    Our first task was laundry so we spent the next hour or so at the laundromat.
    Santillana is a town where Spanish nobles built their holiday homes in the 17th century. It is still pretty much intact other than the conversions for tourism which are mostly well done. The steets are all cobbled (and hard to walk on) and traffic free.
    For dinner we found a restaurant doing a menu of the day where he had a three course meal including a glass of local wine for only 17 euro each. Our first really good meal in Spain. The food and ambiance of the restaurant were first class as well.
    Read more