Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 59

    A day at the beach

    June 6, 2018 in Wales ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Today dawned fine and sunny so we headed of for a day at the beach at Aberystwyth in Wales. This is about a 70 mile drive so we packed our picnic lunch and hit the road. The route is mostly on minor roads and is a nice drive through the Wye Valley The country side and towns change as you drive into Wales (also the signs which are Welsh and English). After a two hour drive we arrived in Aberystwyth. It is a very pleasant seaside town in the old style. The beaches are a mixture of round stones and coarse sand. We had a good walk around the promenade and town and then headed home. We took a different route back to see some more countryside. It was a good choice. We started by heading to a place called Devils Bridge Falls. This is a chasm with waterfall. It was a bit late in the day to walk down into the chasm so we just looked from the bridge. The route from there took us through the Elan Valley. As we progressed the trees disappeared and we were presented with a wild green landscape dotted with sheep grazing on the open range. The road got narrower until it was only one car width and the scenery got more and more spectacular. Quite a drive. It took a good hour to drive the 20 miles or so of the valley.
    From there we carried on to the market town of Prestiegne where we stopped for a break. From there it was a 45 minute drive home.
    Read more