Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Day 13, St Johns, Canada

    September 13, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    An 8am dock this morning in to St Johns. I didn't sleep very well last night due starting with the dreaded man flu. As a result we were up at 6.30am and went for a cuppa. We are currently 3 and a half hours behind UK time. I always thought time zone changes were in complete hours. It was chucking it down with rain and still very foggy from yesterday. The captain was still sounding the horn every few minutes but not the loud foghorn that was using during yesterday but a softer one so as not to disturb the sleeping passengers. As we arrived on the top deck, facing the front of the ship, it looked like we were about to sail straight in to the rock side. It wasn't until we moved to the front of the ship that we saw a very narrow gap in the rocks that we eventually sailed in through. At its narrowest point I'm guessing he only had about 30ft either side to play with, truly magnificent manoeuvring skills. And in the thick fog and rain too !!

    We watched the dock in the rain before going for breakfast. Afterwards we put on our warm clothes and waterproofs as I don't know if I've mentioned it but the weathers been crap and still is!! A certain person not to far from me said and I quote " You'll only need shorts and tee-shirts from Canada in". Yep, wrong!! So we had a walk through the soggy town, lots of war history and many connections back to England. This used to be a stopping place to refuel in WW2 and the locals used to supply cakes and home cooked foods to try and make the soldiers feel at home. Quite fascinating really. Gutted there was no McDonalds for free wifi but Starbucks stepped up to the plate 👍

    After a fair bit of browsing we got back on board and had a spot of lunch and just enjoyed the ship. We went out on deck to watch the sail away and it was fantastic. I think it's got to be one of the best ports for approach and departure we've ever done. The decks were busy and the amount of room down either side of the ship as we sailed towards the mouth of the Atlantic was minimal. As we sailed down there were lots of people at the top of the hill and they fired 3 cannons as we passed. A spectacular departure, really glad we saw it. Still raining ☔️ though !!

    We're just off to the restaurant now, lots of nice choices tonight. Got an early start in the morning even though it's a sea day, more to be revealed tomorrow.

    Adios amigos
    Read more