Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Day 16, At Sea

    September 16, 2017, North Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌙 29 °C

    Last full day on board today so have to make it count. I feel a lot better today as the drugs I got knocked me out and I slept really well. First job of the day was to check the speciality breakfast in the dining room. I nipped down to see what it was whilst Sharon got herself ready. Bingo - "The Lumberjack" breakfast, Steak & Eggs, my favourite and twice on the same cruise. That was the start to the day I enjoyed. The weather was pretty much as it has been for the last week, heavy fog, poor visibility but increasing temperatures. We did see some bright sunshine about midday for a couple of hours but it's back to thick fog again now. Unfortunately that's the forecast for the approach in to New York in the morning, it's not going to stop us getting up at 4am to see the skyline if possible.

    We went to the back of the ship and sat out for an extra cuppa before having a wander to the atrium where we just sat and soaked up the atmosphere. Meanwhile, Elwood took it upon himself to run riot around the ship - See attached pictures!! After we had chased him around, it was time to go back to the room and pack. I must say, Sharon does a cracking job of it, would be rude to interfere 😂😂. I took to cutting my hair and having a shower when disaster struck. A little over half way in to the hair cut the clippers stopped. Serious shit !! And I had charged them thoroughly. However it did appear that they were flat. Fortunately I managed to cobble together a couple of extension cables and got them working. I had visions of a visit to the nice ladies in the Lotus Spa with a hat on and begging !!

    We decided to go out on deck about lunchtime as the sun was out, we both went in the pool which was nice and warm. As it was a bit wobbly the water sloshes about all over and makes it quite fun. We were in there for about half an hour before we moved on to the hot tub. Always a lovely feeling jumping in to the hot spa.

    Next on the list was a quick visit to the Trident Grill to get a chicken breast burger and a slice of pizza for Sharon as we were short of time because there was a talk about navigating the ship on in the club fusion. We made it there and it was a brilliant presentation, made better as the officer doing it was actually driving the ship when we went on the bridge, Michael, nice guy and from England too. Another interesting fact, he told us the size of the fuel tanks on board hold 750,000 gallons of fuel and then said if you filled it up in England at the rate of fuel of £1.15 per litre it would cost a tad over 4 million pounds to fill it ⛽️. He was really good and knowledgeable and only 22 years old, he's a third officer. He took questions at the end, Sharon asked whether we had actually crossed the Arctic Circle, he replied that they did speak about it as we were so close, but the weather put pay to it and it wasn't really safe to do it. We got 6 miles from it which Sharon is more than happy with.

    As I said busy day, next on the list was Afternoon Tea in the Botticelli Dining room. When we arrived I asked for a table for one even though Sharon was with me, just getting the Maitre D back for playing tricks on us all holiday, he wasn't quite sure whether I was serious but I put him out of his misery fairly quickly. He's a great guy. The Afternoon Tea experience on board is a really lovely experience, many cakes, scones, sandwiches and pastries as well as tea. Two ladies played the violin as we were stuffing our faces. They were very good.

    We are now all packed, suitcases outside waiting for collection and we've just had our Gala Dinner in Horizon Court. We're just going to go for a wander before returning here for a drink and retiring for the evening. We'll be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow to see us dock if possible and we are excited about that. So goodnight all until tomorrow ⚓️🚢🍹🇺🇸
    Read more