Satellite
Show on map
  • 4th February 2018

    February 4, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 3 °C

    It’s been all go this weekend, and work is progressing nicely. Again a full team yesterday minus Sharon as she needs to make sure she keeps her dressing clean on her fingers, and as JB and his team were there I at least had someone to talk to. I didn’t take to much grief about last weeks mis hap although Rich did christen me Lionel Ritchie in honour of his hit Dancing on the Ceiling. There has been some work in the week and it really is starting to take shape. During the week John and Rich have managed to complete the rest of the stud work, boarded out the larger of the 2 smaller bedrooms, and even got the ceiling and one of the walls plastered as well as getting the loft insulated. I had been up and ensured that any cables that needed to run from upstairs to downstairs were in place. That meant getting all the coax cables in for the TV points 📺 (one in each bedroom, 2 in the living room as we couldn’t decide which side of the room to put it, and one in the kitchen), all leading back to a central point in the loft for a splitter. I also installed a 10mm earth supply for the gas meter and got the cables in for the smoke alarms, one on the landing and one in the hall. Finally, the upstairs sockets that were fitted last week had the grommets put in to them to make sure they comply when the wiring comes to get signed off. One could be forgiven for thinking JB had forced as much glue and plaster in to them making it very challenging to get them in, but I’m sure that was the furthest from his mind !!

    Yesterday’s work saw the upstairs change massively. 1st of all the remaining old upstairs window was removed and the large plasterboard sheets were passed up from the back of the trailer through the window and in to the front bedroom. It was all systems go after that, John cracked on with plastering the rest of the bedroom. No quick task. Although it was all boarded out, the walls were not square and true and so John was doing his best to make them as square and flat as he could. It looks perfect to me, he has done a fantastic job. He is a perfectionist and it took him the whole of the day, even trowelling it up after the others had gone and the light was barely left.

    Rich and Matt spent the whole day boarding out the rest of the upstairs. Again no easy task. They work like a well oiled machine, each of them always one step ahead and no time is wasted waiting for anything as they both just seem to know what is next and are already on it. They measure and cut a room full before mixing the glue and sticking them to the wall taking a lot of time getting them flat and upright. They have managed to get all the outside walls in the back bedroom done, the landing and most of the master bedroom. The upstairs is now almost all boarded with just a few outside walls left. The walls were that bad in places that to keep them flat, 2 plasterboards have had to be stuck in in the middle but only one top and bottom.

    All of this makes a massive difference to the heat in the house, especially upstairs. Got a visit from Spok to see how we were getting on and as he’s says it changes every time he comes up.

    Today, Sharon and I weren’t going to go but I’m conscious that there’s so much i need to do and whatever I don’t do will impact on John. So we met Spok and Denise for breakfast and then went up. Sharon did battle with the upstairs and did a great job clearing up tidying and sweeping up. Again, the front bedroom is looking fab. Completely plastered and drying nicely. I cracked on with a few more wiring jobs, extended the ring main for the upstairs sockets to include a double socket in the loft for the TV booster, I also dropped a cable in from the bathroom to the hall (all though it needs extending slightly as I ran out of cable) for the room thermostat from the boiler. I then moved downstairs and mounted all the socket back boxes in the living room making sure they are at the right height for the regulation approval and level, before finally starting to drop the cables in for the downstairs ring main. Most of the living room sockets are now wired apart from the last two. We have made sure that there are plenty of plug sockets.

    Again, Spok and Denise popped up for a look as Denise didn’t see it yesterday. Other than Sharon’s Mum and Dad they are the only two who are genuinely interested and as excited to see it progressing as we are. Paul also came up this afternoon and dropped us a boiled off which we are a while from fitting but probably not that far. He saw a massive change as he’s not seen it for a while.

    At 2.30pm we decided to call it a day. We can see it starting to take shape and it’s going to be really nice we hope. The burnt smell has completely disappeared and it coming together nicely.
    Read more