Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1, Bay De Somme Services

    July 6, 2018 in France ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    So it’s finally here, 11 days off work and a trip to France with the gang, John & Margaret - already there waiting our arrival, John and Dianne - driving down tomorrow morning, Eddie & Lynne - driving down on Monday. Our final destination will be a small hamlet called Pussicote, the nearest town is Genouille in the district of Civray. In short it’s about an hour south from Poitiers and approximately a 650 mile drive. We will be staying at John & Dianne’s place but there’s not enough bedrooms for us all so we take our own and park it in their garden. It’s a truly lovely place in the middle of nowhere and totally unspoiled. Really can’t wait to get there.

    After running around trying to get organised all Thursday, we started this morning with breakfast at Snackattack with Sharon’s Mum and Dad. A lovely start to the holiday. As always we were rushing around right up to the minute we left but we departed bang on time at 12.30, plenty of time to get to Folkestone for our 6.30 shuttle. Or so we though !! An accident on the M11 closed it which meant we stood for over 2 hours not moving at all. From there on in the traffic was terrible. We rang Euro Tunnel and explained and they put our departure time back, we still missed it. They were very good and we finally got a crossing time of 20.00. That got delayed and eventually we crossed at 20.30.

    With the hour added on in France, we were on French soil at just after 22.00. We had just over an hours drive to a caravan friendly services at the Bay De Somme. We arrived here about 23.15 absolutely knackered. Joy when we realised the services were shut and all the caravan spaces were taken. It was starting to look like we would have to drive another 90km to the next services until Sharon spotted a motor home pitch that was empty. Sod it, we took it. The services here in France are fantastic. Free hook up, free water and very clean toilets, all still working even though the main services are closed.

    So, hooked up, telly connected and all locked up we had a cup of tea and a sandwich and finally crawled in to bed absolutely knackered about 0.30am. But we’re on holiday so who cares.
    Read more