Satellite
Show on map
  • 30th September 2018

    September 30, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    A very busy but productive weekend this weekend. The twins (Kian & Ethan) our adopted nephews came along to help us on Saturday. The plan was to remove a small tree 🌲 at the bottom of the garden and make a start on digging the holes out for the fence posts. It was a beautiful day, so we went to Sharons work early, picked up the trailer and then the boys before calling at B&Q and loading up with 15 bags of postcrete. We then set off for Langold. Prior to our arrival, Uncle Spok snd Gemma has organised me some fence posts and plinths and had taken some time off work on Friday to collect them using Gemma’s work van. That was a massive help and not very easy work I wouldn’t have thought. Spok has also collected 5 railway sleepers if got for Gemma a few weeks ago ready for the front garden which she is tidying up.

    As we arrived on Saturday we decided that really the first job was to remove the tree from the bottom of the garden. Spok’s petrol chainsaw was fired up and off we went. The small tree was actually a lot bigger than we thought. Ethan took a big shine to the chainsaw but to be honest was actually quite responsible whilst using it. The challenge we had was that the tree was so out of control it leaned massively over 2 neighbours adjoining gardens and we couldn’t risk it falling in there. After much messing about to try and get a rope which we failed at, we enlisted the help of an old hose pipe. We doubled it up, wrapped it round the top side of the tree, the dots pulled towards them and I cut it. Bingo down she came. We then set about cutting all the branches up in to small pieces and building a bonfire.

    Spok came up in the afternoon to help. We tidied up and made a start getting the first hole dug out in the corner for the first 2 fence posts. I’d bought a petrol auger which is basically s drill with an engine on it to dig the holes. Man was that a beast. It was fab but definitely needed 2 people to operate it as if it hit s rock (of which there are hundreds) it jars and you basically know what it feels like to become s helicopter blade !! Spok snd I managed to get the first hole dug and first two post concreted in. It was cracking on by this time so we decided to get all the fence posts and plinths carried round the back. That was a killer, we had to enlist the help of Joe as the twins had had enough by that time. It was very physical, demanding work but a good job done.

    On Sunday, it was just Spok and me. Again very hard graft but we managed to dig all the holes out along the back snd concrete the posts and plinths in to place. We don’t have the panels as yet, but it will look so different once they are in place. I really couldn’t have done it without Spok this weekend, his help was invaluable. It’s fair to day, I ached a bit Sunday night, I dropped a dance plinth on my knee which has a massive bruise and my arms are black and blue, but a good start to a hard job.
    Read more