Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Christchurch

    October 31, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌬 59 °F

    We left the North Island and flew to the South Island. We took a propeller plane from Rotorua Airport. There was basically no security as you could walk in and out of the airport at will. Anyway, we are now in Christchurch, the largest city on the South Island. We have beautiful gree fields on one side and the Alps on the left side. It was a really windy and drizxly day, but we still walked the town. It was devastated by two earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. Rebuilding is going slow. The wayerway through town had Eels that just hung out by the edge of the sudewalk waiting to be fed. Creepy!!
    The tour director put me in charge of the Halloween party. So I wore my Jack-o-lantern shirt as did one other person on the tour. Brian and I walked out of our room to find Halloween caution tape up over our door. The tour bus was also strung up with streamers. I instructed the group that we would be doing a trick or treat (white elephant). Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves! We started having to guess the Halloween themed word on your back. Then, into gift exchange. It went very well, and there were lots of funny tricks as well as treats!
    Tomorrow is life on a sheep farm and maybe ziplining!
    Read more