Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Jan 5: Sea day. Making friends.

    January 5 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 55 °F

    We had a lovely dinner with Jane & Andy at Manfredi's Italian Cuisine. The meals on this ship have been spectacular. Manfredi's is a specialty restaurant and very intimate. Our wait staff take the time to explain all dishes and wine pairings. It's also nice getting to know them and the countries they come from. Each staff member is given a 6-month contract and are eligible to renew the contract or cancel it and go on elsewhere. Our waiter, Kutut, is from Bali and is excited to visit his hometown when we head there on this trip. He just announced that he has extended his contract for another 6 months. He's very proud to be serving on the Viking ships. His energy and excitement are infectious. Staff are proud to speak of their homelands, families, and the ability to provide financial support back home. Staff share rooms (2 to a room) and, unlike many cruise ships, their rooms boarder the outside so that each has a window. These people work extremely hard, and we are very grateful to have their care. Today's Blind Wine pick: San Leonino Chianti Riserva (Sanguovese) Tuscany.
    Other notes: ▪︎ Our guest lecture picks: Mick Dawson "Rowing the Pacific Blind" ▪︎ At 75°, today was the coolest day since the start of our trip.
    Read more