Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Jan 24. Moorea (Opunohu Bay)

    January 24 in French Polynesia ⋅ 🌧 81 °F

    The soaring massif of Mt. Roa and Mt. Rotui watch over the narrow Opunohu Bay like sentinels, providing a stunning preview of Moorea's scenic splendor. Part of the Windward Islands, it is one of the most magnificent and pristine of the Society Islands, with white sand beaches, jagged peaks and lush primeval landscapes by its turquoise lagoon.

    Julie was invited by Catherine to drive an ATV through Moorea this morning. She had a great time, which included petting an eel! Later in the day, we took the tender over to the Island and boarded a boat which took us around the Island. We spotted two Green Sea Turtles in the crystal clear waters. The coral reefs in the area are healthy and beautiful! The University of California Berkeley has a small campus along these beaches to promote research, education, and public service in tropical biocomplexity and sustainable development. The students conduct research and will eventually graduate with a degree in Marine Science.

    The standard of living on Moorea is higher than Bora Bora and is obviously more prosperous. Unlike the Hawaiian Islands where basically anyone, from any country, can buy up the land, our guide explained that in order to purchase land in French Polynesia, people have to live here at least 10 years before they are eligible. This appears evident in the number of Native Islanders in French Polynesia. Islanders speak their native language, as well as French and English. Crime levels are very low and the people take pride in their ancient heritage here.

    We met back on the ship with Catherine, Tom & Jason for some sweet Rum Punches, dinner at the World Cafe and returned to our room a little tipsy! Great day! ♥️
    Read more