Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Jan 23. Bora Bora

    January 23 in French Polynesia ⋅ ☁️ 82 °F

    Considered the world's most beautiful island, the Society Island of Bora Bora is only 15 square miles. This stunning land is made up of a barrier reef of islets, each one connected to the next depending on the tides.

    According to figures released in French Polynesia, more than half the population in the Society Islands now lives below France's poverty threshhold.The data is based on a 2015 survey on expenditure in Tahiti and Moorea.

    We had a few hours before our excursion so we tendered to the Island and took a local bus to the beach. Jul & I were surrounded by ship crew members and locals. Crew are able to get off the ship in various ports. It's fun to see them in "civilian" clothes! They are so happy to have a holiday! Their joy is infectious!

    On our ride, we saw houses where the poor living conditions were obvious with some people living in shipping containers and lean-to type homes. This tugs at my emotions. Similar to visiting Mexico, it feels bad to witness the disparity among the wealthy and poor. If tourists are contributing financially to the native population by visiting and enjoying their beautiful Island, why are so many still so very poor?

    Along the beach, we observed small boats owned by islanders. The boats are moored on metal scaffolding with wheel-like hand cranks to raise and lower the boats from the water.

    Time at the beach was pleasant. The sand is white and the water is crystal clear. Jul and I waded in and right away a Sting Ray passed us within 5 feet! Beautiful!

    Our excursion included a boat-ride outside a reef area where we saw Blacktip Reef Sharks and Sting Ray's. The thrill I felt to be so close to these beautiful animals is beyond words!

    We leave tonight for Moorea (Opunohu Bay), French Polynesia!
    Read more