Satelliitti
Näytä kartalla
  • Päivä 64

    Feb 23. Great Barrier Reef, Cairns Aust

    23. helmikuuta ⋅ 🌧 81 °F

    Bucket list day! Today, our catamaran took us 1 1/2 hours from the city of Cairns to the Great Barrier Reef and a moored pontoon station. The Great Barrier Reef stretches for 1,400 miles and is the largest continuous coral reef system on Earth. The Queensland Government is committing large-scale funds and working closely with scientists & other naturalist partners to safeguard the Reef. On our submersible trip, we witnessed areas of the reef where restoration and reef planting were taking place. It was encouraging to see.

    We donned our stinger suits (jelly fish are fierce this time of year) and snorkeled in rough waters (2' high tides). I took a few photos and a short video but it took all of my strength to keep inside the protected area due to the current. I was exhausted! Julie (my little Wonder Woman), was out for quite a while and saw a lot of marine wildlife! We had a catered lunch and then went on a submersible craft where we got close to the reef and many varieties of fish, a green sea turtle and Black Tip Sharks. I was ready for a rest and coffee while Julie road in a glass bottom boat. We listened to lectures from the on-board Marine Biologists and were then entertained by members of three different Aboriginal tribes who sang, played a Didjerridoo & danced . It was a long & great day!!
    Lue lisää