Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Low-key day

    September 3, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    Today we took it slow-we slept in, spent some time around the campsite, and got a later start. It felt good!

    We drove along to see the West Thumb Basin, one of the most actively changing geothermal areas of Yellowstone. The entire area runs along the south-western tip of the lake, and the geothermals are even active under the lake's surface near the shoreline. We saw mud pots and pools, geysers and fumaroles. Along the boardwalk we ran into a hobbyist who had written a book about the area and also works as a tour guide. She showed us which pool was brand new since last year, and which one had newly started overflowing.

    Before heading home we ran up to Canyon Village where we ate burgers and fries at an old fashioned diner, then drove back through the Hayden Valley. The bison were crossing the road, and there are an incredible number of calves. We even got to see a very young calf (their coats start off very light brown and darken with age). We spent the evening underneath the nearly full moon at our campfire. An entire family camping nearby was playing Jailbreak, a game combining Hide n Seek & Kick the Can. Two little boys hid under our picnic table for about 30 minutes until they were caught by a little sister (with their mother's help, of course!)
    Read more