Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Vietnam - Hanoi

    May 19, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    Arrived last night at Hanoi airport, it’s been great because I have organised transfers so when we arrive tired we get picked up and taken directly to the hotel. Yes it might be more expensive than getting our own way there, but it is so much easier! We arrived at our hotel in the Old Quarter and were really happy with the room and the location of the hotel. So we checked in and cleaned up and then decided to go out for a drink and a walk, oh dear it’s after midnight and everything is closed! Lost a bit of time somewhere! All good we decided to go to bed and go exploring in the morning.

    When we woke up we headed out firstly to get some money changed as its Saturday and banks close at 11.30. Wow it’s not easy finding a bank that does currency exchange but finally did. We walked around the lake in the centre of Hanoi which was lovely. We found out today is Ho Chi Minhs birthday and so lots of celebrations around Hanoi. Very relaxed atmosphere and as we walked around we were stopped by two groups wanting to practice their English with us. I also came across a beautiful dog called Moon and she made me miss Keeno a little bit more. We watched a dancing and singing group perform on the street. It was really hot by lunchtime and we decided to go to a water puppet show, partly for the show and partly to get out of the heat!!

    While we were waiting for the show Pete suggested we walk to the river to have a look. So off we headed, crossed roads and motorways by shadowing the locals across the road. We made it across alive
    but the river was a huge disappointment being really just a floating garbage truck. So we headed back and went to the puppet show after a cooling Mojito. Really clever puppet show, and really cool!

    Returned to the hotel and had the complimentary afternoon tea which was amazing. Relaxing tonight and tomorrow heading out on a city tour before heading off to Sapa. Must admit we are really looking forward to getting out of cities for a bit!
    Read more