Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Cruisin' the harbour and the beach!

    November 23, 2018 in Australia ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    Up early again this morning, and headed down to Darling Harbour for a harbour cruise on the Captain Cook tour boat! Started out around 9:15, cruised past all the old warehouses and under the Harbour bridge - huge cruise ship in dock this morning - sign of a busy day around town! We went by Fort Denison, which is basically a sandstone island built in the middle of the harbour, in the old days, convicts who had not obeyed orders were banished in leg irons to the fort as an example to other convicts not to misbehave! We stopped at the Toronga zoo, then continued on to Manly Bay, passing the “gap” on the way, which is the opening out of the harbour to the Pacific Ocean. We also cruised by some lovely homes, as well as a quarantine station at North Head, set up for anyone who may have been deemed to have infectious diseases, it operated from 1832 to 1984! On the way back to Darling Harbour, we went past the home of the Governor General, and also a house used by the Prime Minister when he visits Sydney.

    Back into Darling Harbour and then Walked up to St. Mary’s Cathedral to have a look inside before we went to pick up the bus to take us out to Bondi Beach! We arrived there around noon and had a walk around, taking a gazillion photos of this beautiful beach! The beach was not overly busy, but there were lots of surfers looking to catch that perfect wave! Stopped at a store to buy a beach towel, then went for lunch at a sidewalk cafe, before heading down to the famous beach to catch some rays. We had noticed a lot of sun worshippers laying on the grass just outside of the beach, and soon found out why. It was very windy today, and the sand on the beach is very fine, so within minutes of settling in our spot, we were covered in sand, as were all our clothes, hair, ears, eyes, etc! We moved back closer to the wall, hoping for some reprieve, then finally joined the others on the grass! 😂😂. It was still a lovely afternoon, soaking up the sunshine and people watching!

    We headed back into town around 5:30 - had to shower up to get rid of all that sand, then went out for a nice dinner in a place close to our hotel. Time for shut eye now to ready ourselves for another Sydney adventure tomorrow!
    Read more