Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Cruise to Ha Long Bay

    February 2, 2020 in Vietnam ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Got picked up by bus at our hotel at 9am for the 2 and a half hour drive to board our boat at Ha Long Bay. There were about 20 of us all boarding the same cruise boat, from all corners of the world. We arrived just before noon and a tender took us out to the Sapphire, our small but beautiful boat. The boat departed and we sailed through the islands that make up Ha Long Bay (apparently there are almost 2000 of them) for about 40 minutes, then dropped anchor. We had a briefing in the dining room followed by an amazing four course lunch. Checked into our cabin to change and in looking over the deck, saw a Vietnamese lady in a small row boat next to our boat, laden down with food, fruit, chips, wine and jewellery she had for sale! Prices were crazy but I guess she has to row her wares a long way out!

    Next we headed back to the tender which drove us out to one of the small bays to go kayaking! The weather was cloudy but warm, and the scenery amazing! We spent the next hour kayaking around the calm green waters around so many of the islands jutting our from the South China Sea! The locals call the small islands mountains and some if them have names- one of particular interest was called The Wave and looked just like a wave before it breaks to surf! Next the tender took us to another small bay for swimming in which most of the guests partook by jumping off the back of the boat! The water was actually quite warm and refreshing.

    We returned to the cruise boat around 5pm, freshened up, and met our fellow cruisers on the sun deck for happy hour. We have met people from all over the world - England, France, Germany, Israel, India and even two sisters from Vancouver Island! Had a great time chatting and making new friends until it was time for dinner at 7. We had another amazing 5 course meal with local fruits, vegetables, fish and traditional desserts. The music came on after dinner and we danced in the dining room before heading back up to the sun deck again for a nightcap and more chatting. After a long, full day, we fell into bed in anticipation of an early morning and our second day of adventure in Ha Long Bay! 😊
    Read more