Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Monterey aquarium

    April 9, 2018, North Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    After the garlic madness we headed down to monterrey where they have one of the biggest and coolest aquariums in America. I am in love with otters, so that was my biggest wish to see, but probably the coolest things to see were the enormous aquariums multiple meters high. There was one of the life of the harbours, one on life in the kelp forest, and one on the deep sea (probably the coolest). It was amazing to see huge swarms of sardines swimming around like they had one communal mind, and also the beautiful but disturbing jelly fish, which I managed to drag Seamus into (to the room to see them, not into the jellyfish themselves) . There were also some tiny and harmless jellyfish, that had colorful led displays moving on their bodies, they were unbelievable.
    But the sea otters were cute to see as well, they were swimming around playing with each other and the water and even with toys, they had tons of balls hanging around, that they would pick up and balance between their hands. They are quite good with their hands and they use them to open up shells of sea creatures (they scratched up the display window super bad until the aquarium learned they should not get shelled food in there). I also learned that they don't have oil on their fur, they only pat themselves to fluff up their fur to have as much air as possible for insulation.
    Read more