Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Second vegas night out

    April 14, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 15 °C

    We arrived back to the hotel around 8:30, so we had some time to shower and rest before starting another night out. We wanted to start out with watching the Mirage volcano erupt, and seeing the Bellagio fountain show, as we noted the times for these on our morning walk. We watched the volcano first, which only happens 2 times every night. I expected something small and only entertaining for children, but I was very pleasantly surprised, it was really cool to see. So there's this volcano in the middle of the lake, and there's loud grumbling noises, water that splashes up like lava, as it is illuminated by orange lights, and a few enormous flamethrowers on the top of the volcano that sometimes erupt, so strong you can feel the warmth of them on your face. There also a lot of smaller flamethrowers sprinkled around the lake, that light up together, they look super pretty as they reflect over the water. All in all it was really entertaining for something that is completely free!
    Then we walked on with the crowd to the Bellagio hotel. On the way there were tons of people dressed up in costumes, they were advertising different shows, or casinos, or strip clubs. We watched the fountain show to the 'Viva las Vegas' song, which was quite cool too, the water sometimes went really really high, and made a load splashing noise when it came down. Then we tried setting up lyft (an uber like app) on my phone too, to get some special discount, which took so long, that we saw another fountain show, which was actually much more fun then the first one. I can't really say why, it had a better choreography I guess :D. The fancy Bellagio Hotel that we were next to has exiled the ride sharing taxis to the basement, but our driver didn't seem to know about this, so it took about 20 minutes to find him, frequently talking to him on the phone trying to figure out where he was, and being chased away from the fancy entrance by employees wearing hats, as they saw we were not looking for a traditional taxi. We even ran after a car for about a 100 meters, which fit the description, which turned out to be just filled with middle aged Asian tourists. Finally we managed to find each other though, and we could start our long drive out to the Freyman Street Experience. It was really bad traffic, and we had to drive around the whole town it seemed to get there - and then the app gave us a price of less then 10 dollars, it was incredibly cheap! The freyman Street experience was something that Seamus has found as somewhere we need to go to (sorry Seamus but I do 95% percent of out planning - you do the driving though, so it's not completely imbalanced). Just a few hours ago the lady helping us in the laundromat also told us that we definitely need to go too. It turns out, that this is a much more real Las Vegas, in the "what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas" kind of way. The strip is something where you could easily take your kids (and we saw lots of families walking around). Here there was a much much higher percentage of drunk people, much more trashy ones at that too, and the streets were full of crazy performers. Like a little short white guy rapping terribly, surrounded by enthusiastic drunk people, practically naked girls, who will spank you for some money, or let you pick them up and have a photo taken, a guy holding a sign asking to kick him in the balls, and just all kinds of crazies. There were also lots of clubs to party at as well. We walked around looking at all the silly people, went into a few casinos (these also had some crazy things in them, like one of them had an aquarium big enough to have a shark in it). At around 1-1:30 we realised we were way too tired to do this anymore, so we decided to hunt down some kind of food, and then head home. We found a place with some slices of pizzas and then took another lyft home, and collapsed into sleep.
    Read more