Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Mississippi Revisited, Memphis Tennessee

    October 13, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    Despite ducking bullets, over zealous rangers and nearly becoming cast members of a Deliverance movie we’ve hung around Memphis, Tennessee mainly because of the Mississippi River.
    If you could fence off all the crazies, you’d probably need a pretty big fence though, the rest of the people are brilliant.

    Another thing is you get used to seeing the gun section next to the fruit and vegetables isle in a Walmart store, it’s going to make our supermarkets look a little naked not seeing that when we get back home.
    Speaking of guns, though not being Elvis fans we still had to visit Graceland because any guy who would shoot a TV if he didn’t like the show that was on is alright by us.

    Obviously we are in the non fan minority because the whole complex is massive, there are acres of land just to house the infrastructure and the shuttle busses that ferry the adoring fans from the car parks to the property.
    The fans have graffitied lampposts, footpaths and the fence of Graceland itself with their personal messages to Elvis.
    All the “hop on the bandwagon” businesses around Elvis Presley Boulevard have his music blaring out onto the street and tacky images of “The King” are everywhere, our favourite is the souvenir shop right next to the property itself.
    Forget the Museum of Modern Art in New York, that’s an aberration or Niagara Falls, that’s a natural phenomenon, right here, right now is the real America and we are lucky enough to be traveling right through it.
    Read more