Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    McLaren Vale Wine Trip

    November 3, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    When we checked into the hotel the concierge gave us a brochure of new cafes and restaurants recently opened in Adelaide. This morning we set off to find this brand new coffee shop that served breakfast. We found the place and it was quaint and excellent. Celeste was craving Avocado toast and they had it on the menu.
    At noon Jamie and Denine from William Buck took us out to the Mclaren Vale wine region. Adelaide has 2 wine regions - McLaren Vale and Barossa Valley. McLaren is less than an hours drive from the city.
    Australia has the largest area of vineyards in the world and it was easy to see why. As we drove to the winery we saw acres and acres of vineyards.
    We went to d’Arenberg winery and had a premier tasting in the Cube. The fourth generation winemaker and owner is quite eccentric and creative. The Cube is part tasting room, restaurant, art gallery, museum - just very funky. We tried many wines and in particular their premier Shiraz. The area is famous for its Shiraz wines.
    After the tasting we had a reservation for a late lunch at the vineyard. We had a great day with our Aussie friends and we hope someday they will come to Canada and we can host them.
    We returned late this afternoon and with no plans we walked a couple of blocks to a movie theatre and caught the Bohemian Rhapsody movie.
    Read more