Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 221

    Paris in the dust

    May 19, 2019 in France ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    “And here’s me breaking bread with the up-per crrrust.”

    Today started with a wonderful brunch. Now this was not an ordinary brunch. We were on a double decker fancy bus on a city tour outfitted with tables and the 6 of us saw the city highlights while enjoying a scrumptious brunch.

    In the afternoon we tried to go Notre Dame Cathedral. We had trouble getting there as there was construction on the train line and we had to get off at one spot and walk to the next train station, then get back on the train. After we walked from our last train stop to the island and over to the cathedral, we found out all roads were blocked with police and army patrolling with machine guns. OK maybe we won’t try and sneak in for a look see.
    We saw these tents and there was a bread festival. ( only in France we they celebrate the making of bread with a festival). We went inside and it was pretty cool as the baker artisans had made all these breads in shapes of different every day things. They had stations were kids could go and roll and braid bread and they would bake it for them.
    We decided to walk back to our hotel along the Seine and it was about 5km.
    In the evening we were invited to a reception at the Canadian ambassador’s residence. There was about 70 people there. The reception took about 2.5 hours and was very nice.
    We went with our West Jet host for a late dinner including yummy French Onion Soup, followed by ending up in the hotel bar and closing it down at 230 am. I was ready to go but my date wanted to party “ all night long .”
    Good thing we are still on Calgary time as it feels like 630.
    A fun and tiring day.
    Read more