Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Ring of Kerry

    May 6, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Bus tour around the Ring of Kerry. Had lovely weather. Bus was small with about 16 passengers. We went on roads that were very narrow. When the driver pointed at a road ww were going to take, i thought he was joking. See the pics through the front window. Driver told the story of a driver at another company that took the same route and couldn't make a corner and had to back the hill on this one lane road. The pony is a Kerry Pony that they used to use to help harvest the turf (peat) which was then dried and burned for heat and cooking. No longer legal to harvest the turf.

    Lots of sheep and it is spring lamb season. So glad we took the bus tour - I would have burned out from driving by mid afternoon. Coastline has similarities to Oregon coast - quite rugged.

    Picture of Gail in a beehive hut recreation. Originally built by monks in the 5th century plus on an island off the coast. 10-12 monks lived on the island in those stone huts. 700 steps up from the water to where they lived.

    The stone circle is a "circle fort" where in early days, clans would shelter st night from wolves and also shelter from neighboring clans. There were also dirt versions in areas with fewer stones and more soil.

    Old stone houses are what they call "famine houses". Built during the potato famine and the forced migration of Irish from east to west by the British.
    Read more