Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    All together in Cusco

    June 18, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 5 °C

    Breakfast with the whole group to start our first day in Cusco! We spent it exploring the city and getting ready for the 4 day trip to matchu pitchu, starting on the 19th.

    Today was a large celebration for the university in Cusco, where all graduates gathered in the main square. The parade included satirical floats which denounced the current president and highlighted the puma/snake/condor motif which represents indigenous cultural Peru.

    We learned additional information about the Incas, Cusco and Peru from our free walking tour through the city with a local guide. While we first thought the rainbow flags everywhere showed Cusco’s support of the gays, the rainbow flag was first coined in Cusco as the city flag prior to its adoption by the LGBTQ+community in the 80’s.

    Between all the activities, we still found time to eat Peruvian food, drink pisco sours, take photos with alpacas and more importantly watch Morgans wnba game (player of the game with 16pts and 7 rebounds! WTG!!) All in all, a successful day for our first group outing. We all hope to be well rested for our 4 day trek tomorrow!
    Read more